November 15, 2017
I met with Sly Majid (Chief Service Officer at the City of Austin Mayor’s office). Based on our meeting, we have the support of the Mayor’s office and should be getting introductions to other local organizations to help me on my way.
December 15, 2017
Great news! The cargo bicycle arrived in Austin today.
The unpackaged bicycle is posed in front of CRAFT (www.madeatcraft.com); the studio workspace where the cargo box will be completed. I am looking for a cabinet maker that can create plans for the box, the only reference I have is this image of Laura’s first StreetBooks cargo bicycle.
December 19, 2017
I spoke with Stephanie Chiarello Noppenberg of State Senator Kirk Watson’s office this morning. She offered her support, and I’m certain she’ll add to our community outreach network!
January 16, 2018
The cargo box is a work in progress. The rough fitting is complete, drawer assembly will start this week.
The cargo box lid features a work of art from a friend in Northern California. At last report he had no fixed address. This mixed media piece also has a story (titled Uncle Alfonso) on the back.
February 21, 2018
Here I am at the health expo for the Austin Marathon at the Portland Marathon booth. During my final training run, I found a real street book left on the Pfulger Pedestrian Bridge!
February 26, 2018
After many delays, the book bike is in service!
March 12, 2018
During SXSW, I met Uli of Subway Book Review. She recorded an Instagram piece on the library, helping to spread the message!!
June 18, 2018
There have been many developments since the last update:
- Video is being added to the site. The home page has a quick video introduction. A longer video tour around Austin with music will be added in the future.
- Justin at Austin’s premier independent bookstore (www.bookpeople.com) has contributed much needed support and guidance in addition to donating books.
- With Justin’s help:
- StreetBooksATX is a registered non-profit in the State of Texas.
- By-laws are established and IRS form 1023-EZ will be filed soon with our friends at the IRS.
- With Justin’s help:
- StreetBooks and StreetBooksATX met in Portland to discuss the first national street books conference. A grant has been approved, and the conference should take place in Austin this fall.
Here’s a photo taken when we met in June:
I’m the thorn between the two Portland roses! Did you know Portland is the Rose City?
Most importantly, both libraries will be operating on their summer schedules. In Portland, that means relief from the rain, and in Austin it means things will get hot (and hopefully not too steamy).